It’s Friday night, it’s been a really long week and your tired. What do you do?
Do you fight the crowds and try and go out for dinner? Maybe round up the crew and head out for beers & wings? Perhaps it’s a night of cocktails and dancing?
Well if your anything like my wife and I that means staying at home & pizza. We’ve had our little Friday night pizza tradition for about the last 3 years or so. Usually it’s a bottle of wine, a movie, & a homemade pizza.
This Friday night was no different. We did make one small change though, in our effort to be somewhat healthier we went with a veggie pizza.
Please don’t judge me but I have to confess I didn’t make my own crust for this pizza. We found some gluten free crusts from Care bakery and we decided to give them a try. I do prefer to make my own crust and try to as often as I can. Homemade crust just tastes better.
For tonight’s pizza we went with:
- 1 yellow peppers (cut into strips)
- Banana peppers (1/4 – 1/2 cup depending on hot you like it)
- 1/2 of red onion (cut into thin strips)
- 3/4 cup of spinach
- 1 cup of shredded Goat mozzarella cheese
- 3-4 Tbsp of tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried chilli flakes
If the pizza was just for myself I would have included some black olives & mushrooms but the wife is not a fan of those particular items so we left them off.
To begin I start preheating my pizza stone in the oven at 450º C for about 10-15 mins to get the stone nice and hot. If you’ve the time you can even let it go 30 min. To prepare the pizza:
- Spoon the tomato sauce onto the middle of the pizza crust and using the back of the spoon spread it out the edges of the crust.
- Sprinkle the oregano & chilli flakes over the tomato sauce.
- Spread out the grated cheese over the crust.
- Layer out the rest of your ingredients. I started with the spinach first, then peppers, followed by the red onion and last the banana peppers.
Pop the crust onto the pizza stone in your oven and bake for 8-10 minutes depending on crispy you like your crust. Let the pizza sit for a couple of minutes once you take it out of the oven. Cut in slices and enjoy.